Woman Killed in Explosive Houston House Fire
By MIKE GLENN HOUSTON CHRONICLEOct. 23, 2010, 8:50AM A woman died in an explosive fire late Friday in the southeast Houston home where she and her husband lived, Houston Police Department homicide investigators said Saturday. The blaze broke out about 10:30 p.m. at the one-story home in the 800 block of Shawnee. Houston firefighters said some kind of natural gas problem may have been the culprit. Larry Field, who lives across the street, said he helped to pull the husband from the burning home. "He was all blistered up. He kept saying, 'She's still in there. She's still in there,''' Field said. The man was taken to an area hospital, where his condition was unknown. Houston fire officials said oxygen bottles inside the home apparently exploded as the flames grew out of control. The two-alarm fire quickly leveled the home, leaving behind only a section of a wall and a few charred beams. HFD arson officers were called to the scene to launch an investigation.